Tour Oshawa with Doors Open 2019
OSHAWA – Explore Oshawa history during the 16th annual Doors Open! Join the community in celebrating the architecture and history of Oshawa by visiting more than 20 unique buildings and sites across the city.
Begin the weekend, strolling through Oshawa’s past with members of Heritage Oshawa as they present a Jane’s Walk: Historic King Street East walking tour on Friday, September 27. Participants will meet at southeast corner of Ritson Road and King Street East at 6:00 p.m. The walk will explore the neighbourhood and the story behind the early 20th century construction boom that lead to one of Oshawa’s most attractive and historic residential areas.
Oshawa Doors Open locations open their doors on Saturday, September 28 from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. The free event gives residents an opportunity to learn more about buildings and sites that shaped Oshawa’s history and culture. Many of these locations do not offer public visit or tours, so take this opportunity to explore the city!
Three new locations are awaiting discovery including:
- Colonel R.S. McLaughlin Armoury (53 Simcoe Street North) has been a downtown fixture since 1914 and is home to the Ontario Regiment, a reserve unit that traces its history to 1866.
- All or Nothing Brewhouse & Distillery (439 Ritson Road South), the City’s newest Craft brewery will open their doors offering behind the scenes tours.
- Trent University Durham GTAand Oshawa Museum (55 Thornton Road South) have collaborated to explore the history of Oshawa through displays, indigenous insights and hands-on activities. Additionally, archaeology, the conservation process and museum work will be highlighted
Doors Open Ontario is a province-wide celebration that provides a unique opportunity to explore and enjoy sometimes hidden and always interesting places and spaces in cities across Ontario – all free of charge! The City of Oshawa coordinates this annual event, with the support of community volunteers and partners and the Ontario Heritage Trust.
For more information on Doors Open Oshawa:
- Website: oshawa.ca/doorsopen
- Follow: #DoorsOpenOsh on Twitter
- Call: Service Oshawa at 905-436-3311
“There are several ways to investigate and to understand Oshawa’s past, but few are as hands-on and practical as touring heritage sites and hearing the information first-hand. Doors Open continues to be such a wonderful walkabout Oshawa’s past – and present,” said Councillor Rick Kerr, Chair of the Community Services Committee.
“There are many ways of learning about our city’s history, but there’s nothing quite like visiting the buildings still standing to take it in. Thanks to everyone involved in organizing Doors Open Oshawa year after year for creating this opportunity,” said Councillor Derek Giberson, Vice-Chair of the Community Services Committee.