Celebrating Our Past And Ensuring A Brighter Future For Wildlife
TORONTO ZOO SEEKING INPUT FROM THE PUBLIC TO UPDATE MASTER PLAN
WHAT WILL YOUR FUTURE TORONTO ZOO LOOK LIKE?
TORONTO, ON: With our planet facing a global crisis in wildlife survival with nearly one million species facing extinction due to habitat loss, human activity and climate change, it has never been more important to be connected to nature and to bring people together to effect positive change.
Your Toronto Zoo has a proven track record of inspiring and educating people to take actions that support wildlife and wild spaces, and we plan to continue and build on our past successes. In order to do this, your Toronto Zoo has embarked on updating its Master Plan to develop a bold new vision for the Zoo. This new Master Plan, will:
- Engage with our community stakeholders for feedback and guidance;
- Explore how we can continue to enhance animal welfare;
- Develop a bold plan for revitalizing the Zoo;
- Evaluate our infrastructure and buildings to identify areas in need of improvement;
- Identify opportunities to improve guest experiences and circulation throughout the Zoo;
- Support the establishment of conservation precinct; and seamless connectivity and integration into the Rouge National Urban Park (RNUP) system, The Meadoway, City of Toronto Ravine strategy and Toronto and Region Conservation Authority plans to improve the cities greenspace network and natural areas;
“Our mission is connecting people, animals and conservation science to fight extinction,” says Dolf DeJong, CEO, Your Toronto Zoo. “The need to save wildlife has never been greater. This Master Planning process allows us the opportunity to open our minds, our hearts and our creativity to endless possibilities about what YOUR future Toronto Zoo needs to become to best serve our community.“
WE WANT YOUR INPUT!
Over the next few weeks, your Toronto Zoo will be reaching out to you and the community for their input in shaping the ideas, direction, and vision that will be embodied in the 2021 Master Plan.
Toronto Zoo Master Plan – webpage: torontozoo.com/masterplan to learn more about the project, track major milestones, and participate in the process.
Online Survey – survey link – we want to hear from YOU to gather feedback from the community on the project, specifically focusing on the testing of specific ideas or “alternatives” being considered for implementation. The survey will be open until March 23, 2021.
Public Webinars – In March webinars will be hosted with the consulting team to provide more information to the public on the project, as well as allow for an open forum for questions and conversation. Between the project webpage, survey, and webinars, we want to ensure you have an opportunity to be a part of the new vision for your Toronto Zoo in the 2021 Master Plan when it wraps up in early summer.
Your Toronto Zoo is excited to share this unique project with our community, and encourage residents of Toronto and beyond to get involved in the process to help shape and build a plan that we can all be proud of.